Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reflections from Bath


Love at first sight might be a controversial issue to some people, but I am in full agreement with it- when it comes to places. There are many cities that take me a while to get used to before I find that it has snuck its way into my heart. Bath, on the other hand, was love at first sight. I loved it all: the Roman-Gothic architecture, the city center full of shops and enticing smells, the everyday hustle and bustle of people out on a Sunday. As you walked farther from the center of town, the excitement gave way to a quiet, natural beauty. The beautiful fence-lined streets with the antique-styled street lamps faded to old wooden fences with small doors built in them, occasionally hidden behind trees covered in colorful autumn leaves.



The enchanting walkway behind the Royal Crescent,
photo taken by my talented friend Nicole Lovold
A street in Bath, taken by my friend Erin Mc Pherson





















The juxtaposition within one town (or city, I'm not sure which) was so incredible to me. I loved that Bath had this variety, and I can only imagine what it's like in the summer. It is hard to put into words how much I loved visiting and seeing everything I could in such a short time. 

For all those who don't read Jane Austen novels, who only watch the movies recreationally, or who just don't obsess over her like my roommate, Jane Austen spent about 6 weeks in Bath when she was in her early 20's and later moved there in the late 1800s. The first time she was there, she absolutely loved it and found it quite diverting. She even stages her first published novel, Northanger Abbey in Bath, where the protagonist Catherine Morland finds it just as enjoyable as I do. She writes, “They arrived in Bath. Catherine was all eager delight; - her eyes were here, there, everywhere, as they approached its fine and striking environs, and afterwards drove through those streets which conducted them to the hotel. She was come to be happy, and she felt happy already.” Living there, however, had its drawbacks and cast a less than favorable light on the city. Jane Austen lived in Bath between 1801 and 1805, but this time, the experiences she had there were rather unproductive and unhappy. She set her last published novel, Persuasion, there and it is a more biting satire about the superficial social life of Bath.

Having only been there a day and not four weeks, let alone in the present day and not in the 19th century, I still found it to be a beautiful and fascinating place. The shopping areas and streets lined with Gothic Architectural elements made me feel like I was a Regency Era woman going to town to spend an exciting day full of busy people and interesting shops. The parks and green space made me feel like sitting underneath a tree and appreciating nature, reading a book, or writing. The best part was that I could have both of those feelings in the same day without a lot of hassle. Excitement and peace in the same day? Count me in! It truly felt like the best of both worlds. 

All I needed to make this trip feel like a time travelling expedition were Regency Era garb and the 2005 Pride & Prejudice soundtrack. However, had I been there during the week-long Jane Austen Festival in September, I would have been elated. Jane Austen fans flock there from around the world to see everyone in 18th century costume and many themed events such as dancing and etiquette lessons, concerts, talks, and even a costumed masked ball!

The day spent there, even without a costume promenade, was still wonderful. I can only hope it doesn't turn out to be a Jane Austen situation; I hope Bath is a nice city to not only visit, but to live in.  

Drink in the nature, everyone. Drink it in.
Photo again by my friend Nicole Lovold


The city, while vibrant and vivacious, is nicely offset by the quiet rolling hills and sun dappled dirt paths, with large trees with gnarled roots obscure the buildings. It is a place to feel inspired, creative, calm, captivated, curmudgeonly, classy and comforting. Wait. That third to last adjective didn't fit. Let's try connected. You can feel connected with nature. That sounds about right.

 So the next time you find yourself in the UK and you need a break from London, might I suggest Bath? It has interesting shops, some great places to get a tasty Cornish pasty, original Roman Baths and the Grand Pump Room, the Coeur de Lion, which is the smallest pub in Bath, some wonderful nature trails, the Jane Austen Centre, and even Pulteney Bridge over the River Avon, which has been preserved since 1774 and is lined with shops. Don’t take my word for it, though; go see it for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment